By red / dpa September 16, 2018 – 13:09 clock The worst typhoon of the year leaves havoc in many places. In the Philippines, up to a hundred victims are feared. China and Hong Kong are also hit hard.
In many places, the typhoon "Mangkhut" caused destruction.
Manila / Beijing – Lots of casualties and injuries, significant damage to buildings and roads: Typhoon "Mangkhut" has fully exploited its destructive power on its way through Southeast Asia over the weekend. The hitherto strongest hurricane of the year hit the Philippines particularly hard, where up to a hundred deaths were feared.
A landslide buried a barrack inhabited by miners, the mayor of Itogon City in the north of the country said Sunday on Philippine radio – there were at least 40 people in the house. 32 other residents of his city were probably also killed. Previously, the authorities had reported 29 dead.
Heavy rain breaks down trees Mangkhut also kept people on their toes in China: Large parts of the south coast and the metropolis of Hong Kong came to a complete standstill on Sunday. TV stations showed images of flooded roads and heavy rains that spilled over the region. Heavy wind knocked down trees, destroyed windows and brought down scaffolding.
Hundreds of flights have been canceled, local traffic curtailed and tens of thousands taken to safety. The Hong Kong newspaper "South China Morning Post" featured images of a vacated hotel lobby in the city flooded with water on its website. In Hong Kong alone, more than 100 people were treated with injuries. Also, for some 7,000 households in the city, the power was temporarily off. Authorities order closure of casinos The authorities warned of more devastation than typhoon "Hato", who hit the region last year and claimed ten casualties in the well-known casino and entertainment city of Macau alone. On Sunday, entire streets of the Chinese Special Administrative Region were flooded again. Authorities had already ordered the closure of all casinos the night before. In the Philippines, 24 of the victims were from the northern Cordillera region, including a family of six, whose house in Baguio was buried by a landslide. A family of four was killed in the province of Nueva Vizcaya, also by a landslide. In Kalinga province, a man was killed by a falling boulder. Monday will restore power supply Some of the victims would have opposed the order to evacuate, said government adviser Francis Tolentino during a visit by President Rodrigo Duterte in Tuguegarao – one of the hardest hit cities. "All the authorities have done their utmost to push the evacuations, but some regions are really out of the woods." On Monday, they will begin restoring power and water supplies. In the north of the island nation, dozens of roads and bridges were impassable due to landslides, floods and fallen trees and masts. Roads were strewn with roof parts, broken glass and broken cables, as social media images showed. On Saturday morning, the typhoon was hit by heavy rains with full force in the north of the Philippines hit land, nearly 400 kilometers north of the capital Manila. He weakened slightly with wind speeds of 170 kilometers per hour. Gusts reached 285 kilometers per hour. "Mangkhut" more dangerous than "Florence"? More than four million people were without electricity, according to the authorities on Saturday. In total, more than five million people are said to be affected by the storm. The Red Cross of the Philippines even ran out of up to ten million. The Philippines are hit by about 20 typhoons each year. One of the strongest in recent years was "Haiyan" in November 2013. At that time, more than 6300 people died, more than four million lost their homes. According to reinsurer Munich Re, "Mangkhut" is far more dangerous for the population than the storm "Florence" on the US East Coast. "Humanitarian" Mangkhut "is the more serious event," said Ernst Rauch, head of climate research at the world's largest reinsurer.
Other articles too